This page lists tools to help with translations. The tools for software are not directly usable for translating scientific articles or abstracts, but are listed as they could be a starting point for developing such tools and are often free software, so we could build on them.
- Deepl: at least for the languages I know (English, German, Dutch) the most accurate machine translation tool.
- LibreTranslate LibreTranslate translates less good, but is free software, has an API and can be self-hosted.
- Lingva scrapes through Google Translate and retrieves the translation without using any Google-related service, preventing them from tracking. Google will naturally still store the texts.
- You can find a collection of Language Technology tools at the European Language Grid, all translation tools are machine translation tools.
Computer Assisted Translation
These are tools that import and export typical document formats as well as bilingual exchange formats for review and translation, such as XLIFF.
- SDL Trados Studio Commercial tool with a large market share.
- memoQ proprietary software.
- Across propriety software. Freelance translators can acquire the Basic Edition of the single-user version for free.
Software translation tools
These are tools for the translation of software, typically short texts, integration with GIT repositories and reading and writing standard file formats for the internationalization of software/homepages.
- Weblate is a libre web-based translation tool for software.
- TranslateWiki Software translation tool from Wikipedia, also used by others.
- Transifex is a proprietary, web-based translation platform. It targets technical projects with frequently updated content, such as software, documentation, and websites, and encourages the automation of the localization workflow by integrating with the tools used by developers.
- Scribe is an editing tool for underserved language Wikipedias. This tool will allow editors to have a base to start with when translation is not possible.
- ISIDORE is a multilingual (English, Spanish and French) search engine providing access to digital data from the Humanities and Social Sciences (SSH).
- ELSST, the European Language Social Science Thesaurus is a broad-based, multilingual (Danish, Dutch, Czech, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovenian, Spanish, and Swedish) thesaurus for the social sciences.